Never Too Old



You are never too old to learn! Just found out our bedroom fan was going in the wrong direction! As a fan of all things cool in the summer I am sad for all the hot nights (no sex pun intended) that I have had with the air conditioner on full steam! Twenty five years of ignorance. That's a lot to bear! And hot steamy nights! (no sex puns! Did I say that?)

When  I was a kid growing up we had box fans or window fans and I think they just went on and off. If you were wealthy you may have gotten a fan that had a high and low speed. I can't keep up with all these newfangled inventions!  If you were really rich you had an attic fan! I don't think our house   even had an attic. If it did I'm sure I would've gone up there... to hide!

I would escape to our ugly unfinished basement. I did not know anyone who had a finished basement! It was cool and mom had some old rusty thing I sat in. Passed hours there avoiding prying eyes.
The only thing missing from my private bliss was a telephone. We only had one phone in the kitchen. It only had a 3 feet cord so all my conversations were monitored and I had to stand up and balance myself on one foot so I could to reach to get a piece of paper to write something down. 

I could read, do puzzles and paint by number!!! Why would I want to do the new rage of coloring now???? Been there done that. The best is little brother was not allowed down there ever!!! Yay! I knew I was being treated like a true adult when I was allowed to iron my own clothes in my sacred basement. It's not like my mother treated me like an adult. I found out later it was that she hated ironing. Don't blame her, haven't used one in years! I have one that has not been plugged in so long it  would probably explode if I plugged it in at this late date!

When I was a kid sleeping in extreme heat took some extreme maneuvering. Even at a skinny 80 pounds, I was hot. The only air conditioning in the little house was in my parent's bedroom. After they were asleep I would sneak in with my blankie and sleep on the floor. 

I really felt like a primadonna one summer when they took a vacation and left me home alone. I was about 17 or 18 and I got to sleep in the big bed in the big bedroom with the air conditioning. I didn't leave the house for the whole week. I had the radio going and plenty of books. It was the best time of my life. I feel sorry for my grand kids who have everything. They don't really know how to appreciate the good things in life.

When I told my grandson the best things in life are free he said, "Grandma you and your expressions," and then I got the big brown eye roll!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Thoughts

Hey Gen Z, What Up?

This Groundhog Didn't Get His Day