Text Free Weekend





shellynewphoto72117.jpg



I am calling for a text free weekend. No not a tax free weekend, like we have now, but going two days totally “text free”.

Do you think we could survive a whole weekend without texting?

My grandchildren would have to be admitted to the hospital for having a nervous breakdown. My son would be following right in their footsteps.

So… walking down the street you could actually look at people as they walk by instead of bumping into them. Remember those days?

Can you imagine going to a restaurant and seeing people actually talking?  Could they have a conversation for an hour without pulling out their phone? Heaven forbid.

Some of the biggest text abuse occurs while waiting in line to give your order at a coffee shop.
Ever have to wait for somebody in front of you to finish their texting so they can give the waitress their order?

Many slow down the check out in the grocery line by finishing their texting before they place their goods on the conveyor belt. Sound familiar?

Then there’s the person at a stop sign or red light texting away, delaying traffic. I've done that a few times myself. Please don’t tell the police on me. It's bad enough that I drive a red car, it already attracts a lot of attention from the men in blue.

Maybe we need to do a phone free weekend too. How many times have you been to a restaurant trying to have a nice lunch or dinner when the person at the next table is talking on the phone so loud you can't hear your conversation?

Then there is the case at an outdoor venue with some jerk sitting next to you, or behind you, talking on the cell phone so loud you want to smack him. That's as bad as having somebody at the baseball game drinking beer after beer, and getting louder and more obnoxious with every sip.

There should be a law for people to allow them to smack others when they're out of line, not hurt them, just give them a whack.

I was recently out to lunch with my sweet, beautiful, adorable cousins. A gaggle of them. They all had their phones out and were sharing pictures and stories. What happened to the old days when kids just talked without having “show and tell” on their electronic devices?

I begrudgingly have to admit that I'm part of this horrible habit. I'm a big offender. I don't know what I did before texting. I had to spend long hours on the phone trying to say one or two sentences and now I just send out a text.

My job, after all, is to keep up with my grand kids and my children. I'm not going to be an old fuddy-duddy anytime soon.

Maybe we shouldn't have a text free weekend. Maybe I would be the first one in line for the nut house.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Thoughts

Hey Gen Z, What Up?

This Groundhog Didn't Get His Day