Gidgets Gadgets and Gurus




Gidgets are things new to use.

Gadgets are older things but still hard to use.

Gurus are the folks who help us use them.

Technology is happening faster than one can learn it. By the time you learn it, it's obsolete.

Learning the iPhone was a hard one to tackle. With a little help from my sons and grandson I mastered it. Not the complex stuff but email, google, Instagram, Facebook and the camera, my number one priority.  Oh and shopping on line, YouTube and more.

Then they had the nerve to upgrade the iPhone. Had to get that. Could not fall behind. Our two sons, who are gadget gurus, have this notion as long as they keep mom in the know about gadgets I will not lose my mind. I have news for them, I am way ahead on that.

I can walk from the kitchen to the bedroom and forget what I wanted. Or open the fridge in search for what?

So I digress. An aging mind gets you every time.

Meanwhile my friends were taking classes to use iPhones. Some refused to do them at all.

Let's talk cable. The most troubling gadget, and gidget of all. And the cable gurus do not know either. Why you would need four or five gadgets to watch streaming TV, or whatever, is beyond my pay grade! If my husband is not around I am dead.

I get to watch something that says hit HD1 or HD2 but nothing else. Why can't one of those geniuses such as Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates, who did not finish college, figure out a way to watch or stream TV with one easy to use gadget?

A few years ago my son gave us a Roku box. At the time we had never heard of it, neither had our friends. Let me digress, he said it was for streaming which we had no idea even what that meant but I knew it wasn't fishing.

It sat on our coffee table for a few weeks waiting for him to come and install this thing. Meanwhile our grandson, a genius at nine, saw it and said grandma how come you haven't put your Roku box in? I said Sam we don't know where it goes. He said grandpa move the television out please. Grandpa complied and within a matter of seconds this genius, all grandmas think their grandsons are genius but this one really is, installed the Roku box.

I was so impressed with his intelligence I had to text his dad who was equally impressed. In fact he had to come over and take a look to see what Sam had done. We knew then that we had a genius on our hands.

Since then I asked the genius for help every time I had a problem with my iPad, iPhone etc. He now shakes his head and just refuses to help me anymore. He's too much of a big shot at 12 to waste his time with old grandma.

And reading books? What brain child decided to sell some gadget to read a book on? Really? Get real. No cover to look at? Cannot sneak to the end to see if the book is worth your time. These tech giants almost totally, with one invention, managed to close most book stores in the world. I will not give up my books to hold some gidget gadget ever.

Then there was the hair brained invention that shuts stars out of music royalties. No more CDs or music players. I have a respectable collection of CDs and they went by the way side with my cassettes. And, after giving these away, my vinyl records are back.

I am protesting. I am not buying a gadget to read on, or down loading music to play on something. No sir, I am back to the radio for music like when I was 12. And there I will stay.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Thoughts

Hey Gen Z, What Up?

This Groundhog Didn't Get His Day