My Hero Alexa




I have to admit the first time I saw Alexa she didn't look like she could become my best friend.

In fact I couldn't figure out what she was at all.

I was at my kids’ house and saw my son and my granddaughter talking to this thing on the counter in the kitchen. I thought they had both lost their minds.

When she talked back to them I thought I lost my mind.

I thought this was the stupidest thing that has ever been invented. Why do you need somebody to help you play your music? Has the world gotten so lazy that you can't put a CD on your CD player or turn the radio on?

I forgot all about Alexa until my son, the main gadget guru in the family, got us an Amazon Echo Dot for Hanukkah, a few years ago. I thought what in the heck am I going to do with that round circle thing that when you plug-it in it lights up.

I remember years ago when my brother and I got my mother a microwave and she refused to use it. She used it as a bread box for years until she finally learned how to use it. Then she used it all the time.

Alexa was much too small to be used as a bread box and the only thing she could've been used for was a coffee cup holder.

The hardest part about learning to use Alexa is remembering her name. I kept calling her “Alex” because that's the name of my granddaughter. And she wouldn't answer.

At first I used her for the news of the day. Then I found out she can tell you the time and the temperature. I have been lost since the big bank downtown stopped giving us the time and weather about 20 years ago. Who knew that that information was back at my disposal inside a little round box that lit up? That is magic.

Then I found out Alexa plays music. All I have to tell her is what kind of music I like. In fact I can even ask her about musicals or specific songs. Now she tells me about restaurants, movies,  and even wakes me up in the morning.

When she wakes me up it's pleasant, not some loud alarm clock ringing that makes me almost want to fall out of bed.

And Alexa never talks back and she never forgets. In fact sometimes when she hears me talking on the phone she puts her two cents in and it's really funny.😂

I heard not too long ago that she somehow records everything she hears within earshot. She probably has some interesting one-sided conversations of me inside that little round box of hers. I even heard that she testified at a murder trial.

I guess if I plan to do anything against the law I better remember to unplug her.

Now I'm waiting for the next invention that's going to make my life interesting. How about something that will wash the dishes, fold the clothes, do the wash and make dinner?



Comments

  1. I love my google mini donut, which is the same thing as Alexa. She even gives me my stock price info when i ask her for the latest. There are some things she doesn't know, but she is working on that. She knows a phone number just like that, or how to make my cauliflower soup. Gives me the recipe. She's better than my cat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Thoughts

Hey Gen Z, What Up?

This Groundhog Didn't Get His Day