The End Of An Era




I'm not a big shopper, never have been. When I was a kid my Mom used to run to the store and buy stuff. Then, the next day, she would return it.

I made a promise at a young age that I would not follow in her footsteps. When I bought something it wasn't getting returned unless there was a very good reason.

Fast forward years later and along comes the mall. It was a wonderful place for people to meet, take walks, eat out and go to the movies. In cold-weather states it was great. You would park and go in, and you could be entertained for the day. Or, in the heat of summer, you could stay cool. You might just get a cup of coffee, wander around, and meet your friends.

I went to my neighborhood mall today. I hadn't been in a few months. The big major department store that has been there for maybe 30 years, or more, was empty. I never thought that I would be so sad. I walked around and all of these sales people were running after me trying to help me. I'm sure that they were worried about their jobs. Many of them had been there for 30 years too, perhaps more.

I realize “brick-and-mortar” has been on the way out for quite a few years now, making room for purchases on the Internet. I always try to go with the flow. I don't want to be an old fuddy-duddy.

I guess this is the end of an era and it really makes me sad.

I know people flock to the outdoor malls. Unfortunately they are lacking in charm, well-trained sales people, and there is that weather factor. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It doesn't have the friendly atmosphere of the indoor mall.

And the few times I've been to an outdoor mall the merchandise looks old and the “new” stuff is really not any cheaper than you would see it anywhere else. Seems the outlet mall has morphed into a huge indoor mall, only outdoors.

The outdoor malls lack the charm, the personality and the gathering place for families and friends. And it's certainly not easy to get in and out of. You have to park and walk miles to get anywhere.

These outlet malls were certainly not made for people over a certain age. I think indoor malls may make a comeback in a different way. Perhaps reincarnated into a smaller version.

Our world has become so informal and sterile.

It's also sad that you can't even find many bookstores any more where you can read a book and buy a coffee. But that’s a story for another day.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Thoughts

Hey Gen Z, What Up?

This Groundhog Didn't Get His Day