The Selfie Generation





Selfie. Rhymes with Alfie. It reminds me of a movie and the song back in the day.

When I was growing up we never heard of a “selfie”.

I remember getting my picture taken with Phil Donahue, Dick Clark, Patrick Duffy, then a real hunk. Now those pictures are something to show your grandkids.

Of course I don’t know where the photos are now and my grandkids wouldn’t know who they were.
In fact I can’t think of one thing I’ve ever done that they would be impressed about.

So I digress. I’m not sure where the word selfie came from. I guess with the wonderful smartphones with cameras they have now, people started taking photos on the spot with their friends.

It’s a great idea. It is lots of fun. They even have selfie sticks. I don’t have one yet. I can’t take a good selfie, my arms aren’t long enough.

Maybe I can use a collapsible selfie stick, hopefully one that would fit in my purse.

I like selfies but I do think taking one on the edge of the mountain is carrying things a little too far. Who in their right mind would want to do that? Or climb on top of a high peak and snap a photo. Really I’m not impressed if I see that. I would think you lost your marbles.

I can’t imagine how many people have died trying to get an impressive picture.

Today I heard on TV that people actually try to take selfies with alligators. Anybody stupid enough to try to take a picture with an alligator deserves to get eaten.

Heard that there’s 1.5 million alligators floating around the state of Florida. That’s 1.5 million more alligators that I ever want to see.

When my husband and I drove through Alligator Alley in Southwest Florida back in the day, I looked out the window the whole time and couldn’t find one damn alligator. I thought it was a fallacy.

I hate those things. They are creepy, slithery, and they’re dangerous. That’s where nightmares come from. Alligators, and their cousins, the snakes, who also slither.

I don’t like slithering men either. We’ve all probably known a few of those.

I think I’m going to slither in bed now. It’s past my bedtime and hope to dream of sugarplums or whatever that is.

My parents used to say don’t let the bedbugs bite. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a bedbug. That’s a story for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Thoughts

Hey Gen Z, What Up?

This Groundhog Didn't Get His Day