OK Boomer




Since most of the people that read my blog are known by the dreaded word “boomers” I thought I would get the word out to speak for us.

I always thought baby boomers were special. We were going to change the world. And we did for the better. Our music was the best, our clothing was great. We knew how to have fun. We were never going to get old.

For a long time I said boomers rule. Well the unbelievable thing happened, we actually somehow got old. I never use that word “old”. In fact, for over 20 years the AARP has been trying to get me to join but I won’t. Why would I want to admit to being old. Old is a state of mind if you ask me. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want to, within reason as you age.

So a few weeks ago I read about a phrase called OK Boomer and it was derogatory. Well that got my boomer rage up. So of course I googled it. Isn’t that what you do every day about something you don’t know? Well I got more pissed as I read it.

It seems the kids of the more recent generations, and I’m not going to call them out, get angry when we make statements about them being lazy, dependent on their parents, or not wanting to take responsibility. They take offense to anything that criticizes them. So instead of defending themselves or having a reason for their behavior they say “OK Boomer”.

Basically what they mean is go to a hole and die. And then they list off all the things that have been ruined in this country by the boomers.

I asked my grandkids this week at Thanksgiving dinner what they knew about it. They both hooted! They knew what I was talking about. Oh wait hooted is an old fashion word instead I’m going to say “laughed their heads off”. I’m not sure if that’s a current phrase either.

They said grandma we know not to call you that. I said, and that’s right, you won't want to live another day if you do or anybody else will either.

I try to keep up with what’s going on in the world especially with young people. I actually like being with the younger generation. They make me feel young and contemporary.  I have a lot of fun with them.

In fact, my husband and I are so with it, our kids (the grandkids parents), didn’t even know about OK Boomer!

I might be an old fuddy-duddy with aches and pains but I’m still with it. OK Millennials.




Comments

  1. Whew, Shelly, another reason to be glad I'm not a Boomer!! I'm from the "Silent Generation". I have never heard the phrase "OK Boomer". And I never dreamed that any of our Class of 1962 classmates were Boomers!!! Guess I've led a sheltered life, because I don't understand most of the current generation's words, or I should say shortcut words. I just learned this past holiday that "thot" which is what I abbreviate the word "thought" as in text messages means something completely different - and not such a nice thing by the way!!

    Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Thoughts

Hey Gen Z, What Up?

This Groundhog Didn't Get His Day