Holiday Thoughts

 


When I was a kid in the dark ages, I thought Jews were the only ones that did not celebrate Christmas. My parents and my friends would say you celebrate Hanukkah and get a gift eight nights. I don’t know anybody that got a gift all eight nights. If I was lucky, I got a gift one night and it was usually like pajamas.

I would always look at beautiful Christmas decorations. We of course had none, just a menorah. That didn’t come close to Christmas decorations. If I could wear a Christmas tree lit around my neck I would. I think it was because I was deprived as a child but don’t quote me.

So I was a stubborn little kitten. I decided to hang a stocking over the fake fireplace we had in our apartment. Don’t ask me how I got that stocking I didn’t get an allowance. I probably stole it.

So I made sure to tell my parents that I was hanging a stocking. I didn’t care if we were Jewish or not. Well, I got a lecture from my Mom but since daddy was my Dad, he did not say a word and I hung my stocking. The next morning when I got up there, my stocking actually had something in it. My Dad was pretty subtle, but he put in a box and guess what was in it, a Jewish star necklace. So I got a present and his point was made with me.

Overall it's kind of a lonely time of year.

People who don’t celebrate Christmas kind of wandering around. What should I do now? Well there’s no law against going to see Christmas lights, there’s plenty around the city. You can send out cards to your friends who celebrate and then they’ll send you a card that may say happy holidays.

Well back then I learned that Hindus, Buddhists, Islamists, and a few others don’t celebrate Christmas either. So we are not alone.

I think we need to celebrate peace on earth and good will to men, and women!, whomever they may be.

From now on all my writing will be dedicated to my son Jeff who will forever be in mind.

Comments

  1. This was a great story! I love that your dad did that! I love you, Shelly, and you know we loved Jeff so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story and helpful to see cultural things from a different perspective too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Gen Z, What Up?

This Groundhog Didn't Get His Day